Founded in 1923 as a company that provided primarily furnace and sheet metal supplies, Badger Sheet Metal Works has evolved into a full-fledged, world-class custom and OEM metal fabrication partner for a wide range of industries. We are the premier custom metal fabrication company.
This position is responsible for the daily setup and operation of hydraulic CNC controlled press brakes in a fabrication shop with some assistance provided.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this position successfully, a team member must perform each essential responsibility satisfactorily. These functions are representative, but not all-inclusive, of what is necessary to succeed in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential job functions.
These duties are not meant to be all-inclusive and other duties may be assigned
- Read customer orders and completing all projects to specifications
- Read production schedules and determine materials needed
- Prepare and run complex bend setups and forming operations. This includes custom punch/die modification used in combination with other tooling (either standard or custom). Complex programming using all features of the press brake (i.e. bending at angles, step bends, proper back gauge transfer between steps, delays, etc)
- Set up, operate and tend to machine
- Position all pieces into machine to match will all customer requirements
- Communicate with other operators, press brake programmer (using Abe), and other departments regarding job timing, process, flow and new projects
- Meet and maintain quality and performance expectations including efficiencies and productivity standards
- Demonstrate a full understanding of print reading and geometric tolerances and how they relate to the finished part
- Demonstrate and apply understanding of flat pattern layout
- Measure work piece dimensions to determine accuracy
- Maintain a clean and organized work area
- Identify areas for process improvement, cost and waste reduction
- Communicate and work well with other departments and team members regarding accurate and timely completion of projects
- Demonstrate initiative and willingness to undertake increased responsibility
- Exhibit ability to prioritize and plan work activities, manage time efficiently and meet objectives to complete projects
- Demonstrate team work by offering assistance, responding positively to constructive feedback and interacting with other team members in a helpful and goal oriented manner
- Other job duties as assigned per the needs of the Shop and the Company
- Must have strong metal press forming and basic fabrication background
- 2+ yrs experience running a press brake
- Ability to operate both a manual and automated press brake
- Amada press brake experience preferred but not required
- Basic knowledge and understanding of fabrication, hydraulic press and/or punch operations including basic set up is desired
- Competent at basic dimensional measuring and able to quickly learn the use of precision measurement tools
- Ability to work with various types of metal forming constraints
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- Excellent blue print reading and interpretation skills
- Ability to follow verbal and written work orders
- Commitment to quality and accuracy of work performed
- Ability to perform inspection of parts using measurement tools
- Excellent understanding of safety practices and procedures in fabricating environment
Key Abilities Needed to Complete Essential Functions:
- Perform all assigned tasks
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal communication skills
- Recognize and react to abnormal operating conditions
- Use and wear personal protective equipment as indicated by the task or environment
- Hear safety alarms and other co-workers
- Perform basic counting tasks
- Read tape measure, safety manuals, work orders, and blue prints effectively
- Understand and identify safety issues
- Commitment to the company’s mission, and vision
The physical demands described are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job requires team member to be in good general health with good balance, agility, and vision abilities. Specific vision abilities include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Usual and customary methods of performing this job’s functions require the following physical demands: lifting (10 pounds regularly, 25 – 50 pounds frequently), standing (up to 12 hours), carrying, pushing, reaching and/or pulling; some climbing and balancing; frequent stopping, kneeling, crouching and/or crawling; and significant manual dexterity.
The job is performed under temperature variations and some hazardous conditions. Team member regularly works near moving mechanical parts, works with broad range of electrical tools, and exposed to potential risk of electrical shock for which several safety precautions are mandatory. Safety gear and clothing is required, including but not necessarily limited to, safety shoes, eye protection, safety gloves, protective apparel and where applicable, a welding shield.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of team members under supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level or difficulty.
Badger Sheet Metal Works is an Equal Opportunity Company and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.